Indiana Blood Center’s Immunohematology Reference Laboratory (IRL) is a highly specialized area that focuses its attention on the identification and resolution of red cell transfusion-related problems. It is an accredited Immunohematology Reference Laboratory by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) and maintains satisfactory standing with all inspection agencies. Indiana Blood Center's IRL is mandated by AABB IRL standards to provide continuous (on-site or on-call) availability of qualified individuals for:
- Serologic investigation and consultation
- Procurement of antigen-negative donor units
- Response to requests for rare donor units from the American Rare Donor Program (ARDP)
Outlined below is the list of available tests and services that can be requested through Indiana Blood Center's IRL.
Procurement of Antigen-Negative Donor Units
Red Cell Antibody Investigations
- Aberrant or Discrepant Result Investigations
- Antibodies to High and Low-incidence Antigens
- Drug-Dependent Antibodies
- Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn Investigations
- Reagent-Dependent Reactivity
- Single to Complex Multiple Antibodies
- Transfusion Reaction Investigations
Serologic Troubleshooting Investigations
Discrepant Red Cell Antigen Typing
Donor/Patient Red Cell Phenotype and Genotype (Serologic and Molecular testing available)
Prenatal Evaluations (ABO/Rh, ABID, titer)
Weak Antigen Expression Investigations
To learn how to submit a sample for investigation or to request rare antigen negative blood, click here.
Indiana Blood Center's IRL staff is available 24 hours a day to assist you with your transfusion needs. For more information about the services provided by the Indiana Blood Center IRL, please e-mail email@example.com.